As more and more of our friends are promoted to parents, I am also kind of being promoted to become an advisor among the mommies. Midnight chats and SOS calls to help them through their bf journey and maternity rest is also a type of fun and I really enjoy lending a hand~
Furthermore there are also tips and advice for first time mommies to refer to, from pregnancy to baby's 1+ year, e.g. pregnancy diet, returning to work, and establishing baby's routine, etc...
Another series of apps that I had started using since pregnancy are What To Expect | Pregnancy & Baby and What To Expect Baby Tracker. I found this What To Expect | Pregnancy & Baby apps very helpful throughout my pregnancy, and it cleared most of my doubts week by week. For new fathers who are lazy to flip through books on pregnancy, they will like this apps as it provides concise summary on weekly basis about baby's development and changes on the mother. Understand and provide good support to the new mommy is very important, it will create a good start of family bonding before childbirth.
As for What To Expect Baby Tracker apps, there are guidelines to month-by-month development of the baby, so you may read ahead what is predicted next in his/her milestone so that you'll not be too surprised on the changes.
Another interesting feature that is available in this apps is the Feeding. This is quite useful for new mommies in the first month to monitor the baby's feeding trend. You can even time your feeding by breast! Haha~
These are my personal experience and preference, you might find a lot more similar apps and maybe you will discover other apps which are even more powerful and user friendly.
So mommies, what are you still waiting for? Grab the apps and try out today. And don't forget to share if you find new tools too!
我们这十年里的旅行都是两个人的旅行，偶尔会约一约其他家人朋友，但是90%都是两个人。很庆幸我们不仅是couple，也是很合拍的旅行伴侣哦，因为很多夫妻也未能够享受一起旅行的（兴趣和意见分歧太大），所以不管什么样的旅程我都照杀。可以说 I married my best friend! 哈哈〜
言归正传，为何会相隔两个月连续去宝岛呢？因为台湾的确是个非常baby-friendly的国家，政府还特别支持哺乳，所以顺理成章的就成为我们的target咯。结果宝岛游也成为了我的另类探索游 -- 发掘各个名胜地和捷运站的哺乳室。每到一个地方，我就会去柜台询问哺乳室在哪，以便可以预料时间舒舒服服的给小公主喂奶。
宝岛游Hit1 - 2013五月7天6夜台湾东北部行程：
Day1：槟城/吉隆坡 - 桃园机场 - 九份（九份老街、施家民宿）
Day2：九份 - 宜兰（雪山隧道、依依不舍民宿、苏澳港吃午餐、宜兰国立传统艺术中心、罗东夜市）
Day4：宜兰（兰阳博物馆）- 野柳地质公园 - 台北（璞丽商旅、西门町）
Day7：西门町 - 桃园机场 - 吉隆坡/槟城
廉价航班：Penang - Kuala Lumpur来回约RM200（大人）RM100（2岁以下小孩），Kuala Lumpur - Taipei来回约RM700（大人）RM250（2岁以下小孩）
Day1：槟城/香港 - 桃园机场 - 宜兰（罗东区）
Day2：宜兰 - 台北 - 高雄 - 垦丁（毫无准备之下步上了躲避苏力颱风的旅程，一路向南！）
Day4：垦丁 - 高雄 （旗津、爱河、六合夜市）
Day5：高雄机场 - 香港/槟城
Cathay Pacific Multiple City：Penang - Taipei单程，Kaohsiung - Penang单程，约RM1200（大人）RM450（2岁以下小孩）**比廉价航班更为值得！！
桃园机场 - 台北市府转运站：大有巴士2060路线，於桃园机场第二航厦发车06:00-01:00（市府转运站04:40-23:00），每隔30分钟乙班次（单程票价台币145元，路线图http://www.airbus.com.tw/busline/airportbusdetail.php?sn=1)
台北市府转运站 - 宜兰罗东：搭乘首都客运“台北1570罗东线”由台北往罗东，於市府转运站第12.13号售票口购票（请向售票員声明到达罗东)，购票后请至13号月台排队候车(往罗东一律至13号月台乘車）。首都客运於例假日期间将视乘車人潮机动调整班次，平均5-15分钟即有一班次。（首都客运台北-罗东单程票价台币120元，半票60元，路线图 http://www.capital-bus.com.tw/yilan/businfo.html）
台北 - 垦丁：台北車站搭高铁（两小時）至左營站，然后搭私人计程车到垦丁，四人一车一人约台币400元
早餐：民宿通常包早餐，而酒店通常没包早餐。一顿早餐最低限度（面食+饮料）约RM10；要省钱可以考虑到便利店扫货（7-Eleven 或 Family Mart），约RM6 可以买到面包+饮料。
2. 手机 + 相机充电器
3. International adapter
4. Disposable雨衣（可以在7-11或Family Mart购买），特别是在春夏时期雨量较多
5. 轻便的baby stroller，我们也带baby carrier，走夜市用baby carrier的确比较方便
6. 家里带来的纸尿片和baby wipes（以防bb屁股有过敏，若是台湾机场哺乳室供给的可以放一百个心使用）建议一天6-7片，4片带上飞机，extra4片hand carry，以应不时之需 - flight delay/luggage delay）
8. 奶嘴两个（肮脏了至少还有嘴spare）- 飞机起飞降落时由于气压不同，bb通常会耳痛而哭，吸奶嘴的用意其实就像大人吞口水，可以缓和气压对bb造成的不适
11. bb的冲凉必备：毛巾、沐浴乳（建议带瓶Lactacid就可以了，决不会过敏）、爽身粉、nappy rash cream、如意油、diaper change mat。。。是不是越看越多东西需要pack呢？
13. Nursing ponco（很好用的，可以当妈妈的外套，天气转劣可以给宝宝暂时挡风遮雨）
14. 别忘了奶瓶和奶/奶粉！所以说直接哺乳可以省麻烦，只要带条nursing ponco就可以了
16. Smart phone，以便随时可以上网查资料
18. Baby snacks/finger food（有时候出门不方便或及时喂puree就以baby饼干和奶暂时当一餐）
我们的practice是纯属个人经验之谈，喂食方面有可能某些父母不能apply，我俩是蛮支持attachment parenting的，所以不要问我“不会麻烦咩？”，我会回答你“老了孩子不带你出门就是嫌你麻烦，跟你学的咯！” @.@
My daily supplements still continue as normal, only that I consume more milk boosters ever since I started working - including food that I barely take if I have a choice not to -- fish and prawns! Now they have become my priority choice in the list.
Here is a list of milk boosters for breastfeeding mothers to increase their supply.
2. Protein drink - soya milk or ESP (Enterococcal Surface Protein)
3. Alfafa drink - make milk thicker and richer
4. Barley green drink - make milk thicker and richer
8. Green papaya and fish/pork rib soup
9. Lactation tea/nursing tea
21. Dark yellow fruit and vegetables - carrot, tomato, unripe papaya
1. Spicy foods - cinnamon, onions, chili and peppers may upset an infant's stomach, causing abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting
2. Citrus fruits - pineapple, oranges, lemons and other citrus fruits could give the baby an upset stomach or even a rash
3. Some vegetables - cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers and broccoli and beans may give the baby gas
4. Dairy - some babies can develop colic if you are eating too much dairy products, so avoid consuming large amounts of dairy
5. Mercury-containing fish - king mackerel, swordfish, tilefish and shark contain high levels of mercury that could be harmful to the baby
6. Caffeine - should be limited to small amounts so as to not disturb the baby's sleep pattern, causing nervousness and irritability
7. Alcohol - limit the intake and allow enough time ~2hrs for the alcohol to get out of their system before breastfeeding
8. Chocolate - contains caffeine and may make a baby gassy
9. Peanuts - babymay develop a peanut allergy but no conclusive evidence, so need monitoring
10. Saturated fats and trans-fats - saturated and trans-fats can reduce the production of omega 3s, which are critical for proper infant growth and development
11. Pesticides - many varieties of produce could have pesticides or insecticides on them, so wash them thoroughly or peel them before eating, or opt for organic produce instead
So here's my recipe:
Add 1/2 beetroot + 1 carrot + 1/2 lemon into the blender then blend till smooth.
The taste is quite sour but overall it was good.
Not sure how much it helped but my aim is to be able to maintain supply even during high tension at work, and I guess it did work the next morning.
How many new moms or dads dare to bathe your little baby right after discharged from the hospital? I guess majority of the answers will be granny or the confinement lady takes over the job. One of the reason must be during the first month of maternity rest, new moms should not touch water, even bathe! That is a ritual for the Asians. No surprise.
Have I told you that I started bathing my little princess since she was 2 weeks old? Ahem...of course I was nagged by my parents and in-laws and the elderly for not following the prohibition of confinement.
My girl was admitted for photo-therapy due to jaundice, so I took the chance to learn to bathe her during my hospital stay in the 2nd week. I'm the type of mommy who loves hands on, I do almost every single task that is required to be done by a mom (even my mom thinks I'm super...hahahah), including overseas travel before even she was 6 months..and definitely needs to bring along her own inflatable bath tub.
So back to the topic of bath tub. There is a huge range of baby bath tubs in the market nowadays but here in Malaysia we normally use the very conventional type, like this. Agree? I have one of this too, for use in my in-law's house during our weekend stays. This has to go with an anti-slip mat for infants. For first time moms, you may freak out if baby looks as if he/she is going to slip into the water.
This is my girl's personal bath tub which I think is worth recommending to the new mommies. Before deliver, my aunt bought me an inflatable bath tub as baby gift. I call it the Yellow Duck. It does look like the famous Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman's Yellow Duck.
We brought it along during travels needless to worry no bath tub in the hotel room, especially when baby was still less than 6 months old. Bathing the baby could be a big challenge when you're away from home, so it is worthwhile to invest in a cost effective bath tub. Many 'new' products come into my knowledge after I become a mom, one of them is the baby bath tub.
Perhaps, just for sharing, these are some of the good ones worth to consider (my opinion).
Home use category:
Precious Planet™ Whale of a Tub!™
Potty Patty Baby Bath Tub (for girls) or Potty Scotty Baby Bath Tub (for boys)
Home use + travel use category:
White Hot® Inflatable Safety Duck Tub (This is the one I'm using)
Mother's Touch® Baby Bather
By the way, did anyone ever bought this for their baby? Baby spa!!! I would love to hear from you if you have one.
Lil’ Luxuries Whirlpool, Bubbling Spa & Shower
I am a FTWM (Full Time Working Mother), thus my participation in helping my girl to achieve every milestone is very precious to me. Every FTWM would feel the same.
I definitely hope to be just next to her when she rolls over for the first time, sits up on her own for the first time, feeding on her first solids, and of course when she speaks her first words!
Thinking of all the little things that I would have missed out during working hours, I decided to snap at least 1 picture of her daily and put into a journal to record her story throughout the first year.
After weeks of effort (sacrificing my bedtime after she fell asleep) to sort and arrange the pictures by timeline, finally the journal is done!! I am so so so contented to flip through each page and reminisce how fast she has grown from the day she was born.